Monks Chapel (the Independent Chapel originally called Corshamside) was
Purchased from the Quakers in 1690 by the Independents. It was built by
the Quakers in 1662 to conform with the ‘Five mile Act’ expelling any
Ministers who would not sign a declaration about refusing to influence the
governing of the established church, to a distance of 5 miles away from
towns or boroughs. Monks Chapel is 5 miles away from the 17th century
boundaries of the borough of Chippenham. It is still a worshipping
community on the Gastard side of the present town of Corsham.
Follow the link below to the church’s webpages with photos of the church.
The church will be celebrating its 350th birthday in the near future. Follow the
links below to the birth/baptism & burial records submitted by the church to
The General Registrar at the introduction of Registration in 1837.
The transcriptions below are from material sent courtesy of AIGS (Australia)
And received with grateful thanks. The church was closed an the congregation has
Now joined with a local Methodist congregation to form St. Andrew’s United church.
Reproduction of these transcriptions comes with the permission of their minister and
is gratefully received.. Follow the link to their website for more information .
Yatton Keynell parish had an independent chapel which was linked into a small
federation of local Independent Chapels with the ones at Castle Combe, Ford,
North Wraxall (and very briefly, Colerne). The Castle Combe Chapel records
mention a very small number of Baptisms for Yatton Keynell Chapel between
1866 & 1874. Follow the link below for these Baptism entries.