Kington St. Michael was originally an area belonging to the Abbey at Glastonbury
And the monks used the manor house next to the church as a summer residence.
Kington Langley was a hamlet belonging to the parish until it became separated
In the mid 1860s after St. Peter’s church was rebuilt in 1855.
Kington St. Michael has connection with the diarist Frank Kilvert in that he was
Descended from the Snell family on his mother Thermuthis Coleman’s side. The
Snells had bought the manor house after the dissolution of the monasteries. Kilvert
Sometimes deputised for his friend Charles Awdry, Vicar of the parish in the 1860s
Famous residents of Kington St. Michael include John Aubrey, the famous 17th
Century antiquarian and John Britton, the famous 18th century publicist,
Antiquarian & conservationist.
More interesting information can be found on the village website.
There was also a Bethesda Baptist Chapel in the village that was built in 1830.
It became a Congregationalist Church later on (then URC after the amalgamation
Of the Congregational & Presbyterian denominations). It is now closed.