Kington Langley parish is currently in the Draycot Cerne and Sutton Benger
benefice of churches but St. Peter’s church parish was originally created from
the parishes of Langley Burrell & Kington St. Michael. The records mention
many families who moved between these 3 parishes during the second half of
the 1800s (as did the incumbents).
Kington Langley Independent Chapel is still in existence and is now known as
Union Chapel. It was built in 1835 by James Pinneger (builder & mason) and
was placed in trust for the joint use of Independents, Moravians & Baptists.
The Minister at the time was Revd Benjamin Rees of Chippenham Tabernacle
Congregational Church. The occupiers at the time of certification were William
Tanner, Benjamin Pegler and other Independents. When the first dissenters
had been licensed in the village in 1742, the occupiers then were Richard
Dovey, Philip Pierce, John Bright & John Salter.