Tabernacle URC was originally one of the Independent churches that became
known as Congregational Churches springing up from the ministry of
George Whitefield & John Cennick. John Wesley never preached in Chippenham
but Whitefield & Cennick both did with the result that the Tabernacle church was
established in the town. Eventually Cennick joined the Moravians and his church
in East Tytherton is still there.
Tabernacle URC is situated in Emery Lane on the corner of St. Mary’s Street
and has a fine interior with a balcony similar to that in Central Methodist church
on Monkton Hill. Balconies must have been popular (or necessary) in Chippenham
non-conformist churches as the Old Baptist Chapel also has a fine one.
The original church was built in 1770 but was redevoped in 1826.