Before 1932 there were many branches of Methodism. This diversity & change is
seen in the Methodist history of Chippenham.
The first Methodist church in the town was the Primitive Methodist church in the
Causeway bought from the Quakers in 1832. In 1853 the Wesleyan Methodists built
a church further up the Causeway. The Primitive Methodist church then opened a
Sunday School on the western side of town in Lowden in the mid 1850s. The
children grew up and had children of their own and Lowden became established as
a Primitive Methodist Church in its own right. This church then built a new place of
worship on the corner of Sheldon Road in 1901 and is now known as Sheldon Road
After some years at their Causeway church , the Wesleyan Methodists built a grand
New building on Monkton Hill which opened in 1909. Eventually their Causeway
building was sold but can still be seen opposite the Vauxhall garage. After the
various factions of Methodism were united in 1932, the Primitive Causeway Church
eventually closed in the 1990s and amalgamated with the formerly Wesleyan
Monkton Hill Methodist Church to become Chippenham’s Central Methodist Church.