The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary Assumpta was eventually opened in
Chippenham in St. Mary’s Place (now the church hall) in 1855. The building
now in use as the church is in Station Hill just behind St. Mary’s Place.
There had been Catholics in the area for some centuries but the establishment of
A church for them in the town was delayed sometimes because of prejudice
amongst the predominantly non-conformist population of Chippenham.
There is a record of meetings being held in the town in the earlier years of the
1800s where concern was expressed by freemen and leading alderman about the
Catholic Emancipation Bill. Even after the church had been opened opposition
was expressed by verbal abuse and stone-throwing.
The old church was used until the new building was opened in Station Hill in 1936.