Hardenhuish is a parish that is now very much incorporated into the environs of
the town of Chippenham. It is on the northern edge of the town on a hill
overlooking the rest of Chippenham. The Parish church of St. Nicholas is now a
Baroque style building built in 1779. It replaces a much earlier building.
The Parish Church has its own website where many of the burials are listed.
Please follow the link below to find out more about the church and to see some
of their old photographs and other historical information.
Hardenhuish was the place where the diarist Francis Kilvert was born (in the
Rectory opposite the church) in 1840. His father Robert was the church Rector at
the time. They later moved out to Langley Burrell where the Kilvert family had
family connections with that parish and Kington St. Michael.
Some St. Nicholas Church records are on IGI Batch no.s:
C152481 & M152482